Office of the Dean
As dean of the College of Arts and Letters at the University of Notre Dame, Sarah Mustillo is responsible for the overall vision and strategy of the College. She oversees both the academic core and the support structure of the College. In cooperation with faculty members and other administrators, the dean seeks to advance Arts and Letters while integrating the various aspects of Notre Dame’s triadic identity as a residential liberal arts college, a dynamic research university, and a Catholic institution of international standing.
The dean oversees the University’s programs in the Division of the Arts, the Division of the Humanities, and the Division of the Social Sciences; appoints and oversees associate deans and the chairpersons of 20 departments as well as selected directors and support staff; and supports and evaluates the teaching and research of faculty members.
Dean Mustillo’s key responsibilities include:
- overall vision and strategic planning
- tenure and promotion decisions
- high-level appointments to faculty positions, including external recruitment to full professorships and endowed chairs
- appointment and review of department chairpersons
- fundraising and external representation and advocacy
- major budgeting responsibilities and priorities
- leadership development within the College
- departmental reviews and evaluations