Mark Berends, the director of the University of Notre Dame’s Center for Research on Educational Opportunity and a professor of sociology, has been elected to the National Academy of Education. The Academy advances high-quality research that improves education quality and practice. Members are elected on the basis of outstanding scholarship related to education.
David Lummus, assistant director of the Notre Dame Center for Italian Studies and the Devers Family Program in Dante Studies, has won an award from the Modern Language Association of America for his manuscript about the poet’s role as an authority in the political arena in the 14th century. Lummus accepted the Aldo and Jeanne Scaglione Publication Award for a Manuscript in Italian Literary Studies at the MLA’s annual convention in Seattle last month for The City of Poetry: Imagining the Civic Role of the Poet in Fourteenth-Century Italy.
Therese Cory is the John and Jean Oesterle Associate Professor of Thomistic Studies at the University of Notre Dame. Her research focuses on 13th century philosophy and uncovering different ways of "modeling" the mind and its activities. “The project of understanding reality is not something that one person or one culture does by themselves,” she says. “But it's really a kind of joint project and that really gives us hope for seeing how these cultures which were often thought to be very much in conflict politically have this sort of fruitful intellectual exchange in the Middle Ages.”
Answers to Frequent Questions
- What can I do with an Arts and Letters degree?
- How do I declare a major?
- Who is my adviser?
- Who is my director of undergraduate studies?
- What is the deadline to drop a class?
- How do I apply to Notre Dame?
- What graduate programs are available in Arts and Letters?
- What is College Seminar?
- How do I fund my research?
- How do I fund my internship?
- How do I start planning my senior thesis?
- How can I study abroad?
- Where do alumni go after a year of full-time service work?
- When is the 2019 A&L Diploma Ceremony?