Tim Morton joined the College of Arts and Letters faculty last spring as director of the collaborative innovation minor and associate professor of the practice in the Department of Art, Art History, and Design. The minor, which centers on the principles of design thinking as an approach to solving real-world problems, draws students with a wide variety of majors from across the University — with more than 65 students taking the introductory Design Matters course last semester alone.
Sociologist receives NSF grant to study change over time in nationally representative samples of U.S. protest events
Kraig Beyerlein, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Notre Dame, has been awarded a $290,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to study change over time in characteristics of protests in the United States, such as size, demographic composition, presence of counterdemonstrators, and the use of disruptive tactics.
Brooke Guenther's research trip — six days at the London Metropolitan Archives, transcribing files from 60 facial reconstruction surgeries performed during and after World War I — was the first to be funded by a grant through the new Medicine and the Liberal Arts program at Notre Dame’s Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values. Guenther is studying Sir Harold Gillies, the father of modern-day plastic surgery, exploring the relationship between patients and the surgeon and studying societal reaction to survivors of wounded veterans who underwent plastic surgery.
Answers to Frequent Questions
- What can I do with an Arts and Letters degree?
- How do I declare a major?
- Who is my adviser?
- Who is my director of undergraduate studies?
- What is the deadline to drop a class?
- How do I apply to Notre Dame?
- What graduate programs are available in Arts and Letters?
- What is College Seminar?
- How do I fund my research?
- How do I fund my internship?
- How do I start planning my senior thesis?
- How can I study abroad?
- Where do alumni go after a year of full-time service work?
- When is the 2019 A&L Diploma Ceremony?