Latest News

Two names added to Main Building's "Wall of Honor"

Author: Arts and Letters


Sister Jean Lenz, O.S.F., assistant vice president for student affairs at the University of Notre Dame, and the late Rev. Anthony J. “Tony” Lauck, C.S.C., professor emeritus of art at Notre Dame, will have their names added to the University’s Wall of Honor, according to Notre Dame president Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.

The Wall of Honor was established in 1999 on the ground floor of the University’s Main Building to mark its reopening following a two-year restoration project. It now features the names of 25 men and women whose contributions to Notre Dame life have been “lasting, pervasive and profound.”

Father Jenkins announced the inclusion of Sister Jean Lenz’ name as a surprise for her during the University’s annual staff dinner on Monday (May 2l) and the inclusion of Father Lauck’s name during the annual faculty dinner on Tuesday (May 22).

A Chicago native and a Franciscan Sister of the Congregation of the Third Order of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate, Sister Lenz, who earned a master’s degree from Notre Dame in 1967, was among the first women rectors on campus following the University’s transition to coeducation in 1972 after 130 years as an all-male institution.

She headed Farley Hall from 1973 until 1983, when she became the rector and chaplain of Notre Dame’s London Program. Since 1984, she has served as assistant vice president for student affairs, and for many of those years she also has served as an adjunct instructor in theology. She also is the author of “Loyal Sons and Daughters,” an account of her years as an administrator, teacher, mentor, minister and alumna of the University.

Father Lauck, who died April 12, 2001, was graduated from Notre Dame in 1942, studied theology at Holy Cross College in Washington, D.C., for four years and was ordained to the priesthood on June 24, 1946.

Before joining the Notre Dame faculty in 1950, he studied sculpture at the Corcoran School of Art, Columbia University, State University of New York, the Cranbrook Academy and Alfred University and made a year-long study tour of European art museums. From 1950 to 1973 he taught at Notre Dame and served on the staff of Moreau Seminary, where he also lived. He was chairman of Notre Dame’s art department from 1960 to 1967. After his retirement, he continued his art work and remained in residence at Moreau until his declining health required him to move to Holy Cross House in 1998.

Works by Father Lauck abound on the Notre Dame campus. Among the most visible are a massive replica of his statue of the Visitation on the south side of the Eck Visitors’ Center, the stained glass windows in the chapel and library of Moreau Seminary, the statue of Our Lady of the University at the Main Circle of the campus, and the statue of Blessed Brother Andre Bessette, C.S.C., in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.

Originally published by Michael O. Garvey at on May 23, 2007.