Student Procession Instructions
The College of Arts and Letters makes great effort to give each student his or her own individual diploma during the ceremony. For this to work, it is important that each student do their part. If one person does not follow instructions, everyone in the College who is behind that person will receive the wrong diploma.
There are several steps that you must follow in order to receive your diploma:
- Students eligible to participate in the Diploma Ceremony must notify the College of their intent to attend by completing the online registration by Monday, May 2. Once you submit your answers, you will receive a confirmation notice. If you do not receive confirmation, you will need to register again.
- If your plans change, please notify the College of Arts and Letters at 574.631.7085 or via email.
- Note: Tickets are not required for the Arts and Letters Diploma Ceremony. Learn more about tickets to the University Commencement Ceremony tickets.
- The College of Arts and Letters’ 2016 Diploma Ceremony will take place on Sunday, May 15, at 1:30 p.m. Students will line up no later than 1 p.m.
- After the Commencement Ceremony (held in the stadium), and before 1 p.m., report to Gate 10 in the Purcell Pavilion to pick up your name card. Cards will be distributed alphabetically. The card will include your name, the pronunciation of your name, a line-up position number, and your email and address (for the photographer). Snacks will be available.
- The procession will begin at approximately 1:10 p.m. Once the announcer calls you as a group, the lines will proceed to the seating area.
- As you begin to process, make certain you are lined up numerically. Pay attention as the line moves— it is important that you keep up with the person in front of you.
- When the time comes to distribute the diplomas, follow the ushers’ directions, keeping your numerical order, to the steps leading to the platform.
- Note: There will be photographers at various stations taking photographs as you walk.
- Once at the top of the steps, hand your card to the reader and progress to the associate dean who will give you your diploma.
- Progress across the platform toward Dean McGreevy and shake his hand.
- Progress to the end of the platform to the steps and return to your seat.
If you arrive late to pick up your card: Make your way to the Purcell Pavilion through Gate 10; an usher will be available to give you a card and escort you to the “late student section.” The usher will then indicate when your number is next in line so that you may blend into the line of students as they move up to the platform. You will not return to the “late student section” but rather follow the person in front of you to their respective row.
If you receive someone else’s diploma during the ceremony: Perhaps the misplaced diploma is within a seat or two, so check with others in your immediate area. If you are unable to locate it, come to the stage to receive your diploma after the ceremony.