Student Procession Instructions
The College of Arts and Letters makes great effort to give each student his or her own individual diploma during the ceremony. For this to work, it is important that each student do their part. If one person does not follow instructions, everyone in the College who is behind that person will receive the wrong diploma.
There are several steps that you must follow in order to receive your diploma:
- Report to gate 10 of Purcell Pavillion between 11:15 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. to pick up your name card immediately following the Commencement Ceremony in the stadium. Cards will be distributed alphabetically. The card will include your name, the pronunciation of your name, a line-up position number, and your email and address (for the photographer). Snacks will be available.
- The procession will begin at approximately 1:05 p.m. Once the announcer calls you as a group, the lines will proceed to the seating area.
- As you begin to process, make certain you are lined up numerically. Pay attention as the line moves— it is important that you keep up with the person in front of you.
- When the time comes to distribute the diplomas, follow the ushers’ directions, keeping your numerical order, to the steps leading to the platform.
- Note: There will be photographers at various stations taking photographs as you walk.
- Once at the top of the steps, hand your card to the reader and progress to the associate dean who will give you your diploma.
- Progress across the platform toward Dean McGreevy and shake his hand.
- Progress to the end of the platform to the steps and return to your seat.
If you arrive late to pick up your card: Make your way to the Purcell Pavilion through Gate 10; an usher will be available to give you a card and escort you to the “late student section.” The usher will then indicate when your number is next in line so that you may blend into the line of students as they move up to the platform. You will not return to the “late student section” but rather follow the person in front of you to their respective row.
If you receive someone else’s diploma during the ceremony: Perhaps the misplaced diploma is within a seat or two, so check with others in your immediate area. If you are unable to locate it, come to the stage to receive your diploma after the ceremony.