A joint class with Professors Karrie Koesel and Sharon Yoon. Professor Victoria Hui will analyze Beijing's total crackdown on Hong Kong both as a Political Scientist and an activist.
Read and listen to before class:
▪ Lindsay Maizland and Eleanor Albert, “Hong Kong’s Freedoms: What China Promised and How It’s Cracking Down,” CFR Explainer, 2/17/2021 (https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/hong-kong-freedoms-democracy-protests-china-crackdown )
▪ Victoria Tin-bor Hui, “Crackdown: Hong Kong Faces Tiananmen 2.0,” Journal of Democracy, 31, 5, Oct. 2020, pp. 122-37.
▪ Michael C. Davis, “Making Hong Kong China,” ch 1 in Democracy Digest, Oct. 2020 (https://www.demdigest.org/making-hong-kong-china/)
▪ Hana Meihan Davis, “In Hong Kong, Calls for Democracy are written on the walls, literally,” Washington Post, 8/8/2019 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/opinions/global-opinions/hong-kong-lennon-walls/) [sign up for limited access, multimedia]
▪ David Pierson and Hsiuwen Liu, “As democracy fades, Hong Kong’s political opposition become political prisoners,” LA Times, MARCH 19, 2021 (https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-03-19/hong-kong-ventus-lau )
▪ 001 - Hong Kong: Ground Zero with Victoria Tin-bor Hui (https://open.spotify.com/episode/01kgn9dneR1kTuuTixvxce?si=lHOaC7OkS5-new4UIGsbFQ&nd=1)
For more: watch Oscars nominated documentary https://hongkongfp.com/2021/03/17/norwegian-short-film-about-hong-kong-protests-nominated-for-oscar/
Originally published at asia.nd.edu.